Front End Developer and Technical Support Lead
who we are:
Alchemy+Aim is a website development company, specializing in helping thought leaders, entrepreneurs and creative business owners. In three years, we’ve gone from solopreneurship to a company of 10 people.
We’re doing things differently at Alchemy+Aim, focusing on building lateral structures in the company rather than traditional hierarchical ones. Team members have all the perks that contractors have, while also being able to really contribute to the growth of the company and the direction it’s moving in. We’re instituting several things over the next three years, including profit sharing, team development opportunities, and team retreats.
the basics of the front-end developer position:
You’d be developing custom WordPress sites. We believe in coding custom sites from scratch and we hope you do too.
You’d be in charge of technical support tickets as they come into Teamwork. Delegation, client communication, and team support are key aspects of this responsibility.
You’d be communicating with the team regularly. We use Slack for regular communication and Basecamp for project management. There are occasionally some video chats we’ll need to do either via video chat.
You can work from anywhere. No moving for a job involved. If you’re happy where you are, stay there. If you’re unhappy, move somewhere new. This job will go with you. (If you want to spend a month working from the Italian countryside or in a Scottish pub, more power to you.)
You decide what you want your hours to be for projects. For technical support, we can discuss what time would be best for that support work. You will need to communicate with the team regularly.
You get paid on a per project basis for full-scale projects and hourly for technical support work.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- You know how to work with Woocommerce.
- You’ve used Advanced Custom Fields before (we use this on many projects).
- You understand how to work with cPanels, update databases directly, and are confident migrating websites to new hosts.
- You can troubleshoot when a site has been hacked or simply been broken by a client who has gone too far in code.
This job IS for you if:
- You believe the best code is clean, simple, and well-organized.
- You are detailed oriented and meticulous. You get letter spacing, fonts, and column widths right. And you’ll even make sure the site ends up with custom favicon.
- You get projects done on time (or early).
- You are honest and have no tolerance for drama.
- You like working on projects for soulful and creative entrepreneurs.
- You can handle a workload of at least 1-2 custom projects per month. Projects vary in length, taking anywhere between 10 and 30 hours (for a skilled developer), with some larger ones taking longer.
- You are comfortable using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to gather information from designs for development.
- You can commit to the position for at least nine months.
Our ideal candidate is a developer who has an exacting aesthetic eye and the ability to make things so intuitive that the non savvy user can feel comfortable editing.
This job IS NOT for you if:
- You are repeatedly late getting work done.
- You dislike or have problems with regular communication.
- You prefer to start out with a pre-made theme with page builders for website development.
- You often miss details.
- You think that a 28px margin is the same thing as a 25px margin. Or that Helvetica is the same thing as Open Sans.
Most projects last between 2 and 5 weeks, depending upon the size of the project and the client feedback process.
about alchemy + aim:
Alchemy + Aim was founded by Brandi Bernoskie, a website developer who has been working with creative entrepreneurs and change makers for over three years. Our clients have included thought leaders, creatives, coaches, bloggers, and people playing big in the world — from Laverne Cox to Kate Northrup to Brené Brown and her Daring Way™ and Brave Leaders Inc teams. We believe in building strong long-term relationships with clients so they feel supported in their online endeavors. The same goes for the Alchemy+Aim team. This business was built entirely on referrals, so we know that it’s people who matter most — and that includes everyone who works for A+A.
The core values of Alchemy + Aim are:
- Attend to the details
- Improve how it’s done
- Make it feel like magic
Most importantly, we create websites that are easy to use and intuitive for clients.
This is a contract position.
HOW TO APPLY
We want some superstars to join our team, someone who we can trust to get the job done right and be a team player. If you think that’s you, we want to hear from you.
Make sure this job is the right fit for you, and make sure you’re the right fit for this job.
Check out our website and portfolio to see the type of projects we work on. If you’re interested in applying please send a cover letter via the application button below and in it include the following:
- Tell us what past project you loved working on most and why
- Include a link to a site you coded that incorporates Woocommerce 3 Tell us what your two superpowers are
- Show us where we can find your online portfolio
- (Optional) If you have Shopify experience, tell us about it.
Qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule a call. Please do not call. All applications can be submitted here: http://alchemyandaim.com/the-team/apply/