Front End Engineer-d3 (US)
Poll Everywhere runs one of the most robust, customizable, and dynamic live visualizations available. Our software animates word clouds, social news style upvote / downvote feeds, and arbitrarily stacked bar comparisons. Presenters trust us with their reputation by putting our charts in front of their audience, and by using us to gather real-time feedback. Our visualizations are experienced live by millions of people during presentations, class lectures, and broadcast events.
We’re looking for someone to help us build and maintain our visualization library. You obsess over every detail of data presentation, from the tick of an axis to the smoothness of an animation. You’re extremely thorough with testing because you know that if your code blows up onstage, you’ve lost the trust of the presenter and their audience. You think a lot about optimization, because every millisecond matters when a presenter is anxiously waiting for responses to come in from their audience.
Want to see how we build software? Check out our playbook.
Are we the right match?
- You have at least 3 years practical experience and an extensive portfolio.
- You're considered a D3.js expert.
- You enjoy optimizing applications for browser paint performance, memory consumption, file size, and CPU performance.
- You’ve used Sass, Haml, CoffeeScript, or other compile-to-web-standards languages.
- You have experience writing automated tests for highly dynamic, visual applications.
- You’ve done a lot of cross-browser testing.
- You know color theory with regards to contrast and readability from a distance. We support 800 x 600 projectors in huge conference halls.
- You’re interested in, and have experience working with, complex layout algorithms like bin-packing, force-directed graphs, and treemaps.
Tell us more about
- Side projects, such as OSS scripts or tools.
- Involvement in the community through meetups, projects, essays, etc.
- Interesting programming or scripting languages you've played around with.
- Art, music, games, literature, or anything that fascinates you.
- We love passionate people.
We don't care about
- Every technology you've used since you touched a keyboard (DOA web services, IPX/SPX, Sonet/ATM networking experience, token ring, Banyan Vines, or LANtastic manager experience).
- Verbose resumes (shorter is better).
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, and 401K benefits available
- Stock options negotiable
- A bunch of office perks
Keep applications brief; we want small resumes with relevant experience. Be prepared to defend any laundry lists of skills. Short but super-personalized cover letters are welcome and always read!
Principals only, please. We aren't using contingency staffing agencies at the moment. Poll Everywhere is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.