Front-End Engineer (US)
Vox Media builds smart media brands people love, empowering trusted digital voices with proprietary technology to create and distribute stories to an audience of hundreds of millions of young adults worldwide. Vox Media is eight distinct brands: The Verge (Technology and Culture), Vox (General News), SB Nation (Sports), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Polygon (Gaming), Racked (Shopping), Eater (Food and Nightlife), Curbed (Real Estate and Home), and Recode (Technology and Business).
Come join our Audience Experience team and help build new tools and modes of expression for our audiences and editorial teams as we push forward the craft of online storytelling. You'll help build experiences on both our sites and our partner platforms, and work with the team on the evolution of Presto, our powerful front-end component architecture.
Hopefully you are a human who is friendly, thoughtful, loves to solve problems on a team, and have:
- Experience coding HTML and CSS; intimate knowledge of cross-browser challenges and experience developing standards-compliant markup and responsive, CSS-driven layouts that separate content from presentation
- Experience integrating server-side code into front-end interfaces, using templating systems like ERB
- A strong design sensibility; ability to take an established look and feel and style guidelines and run with it
- A commitment to user-centered design, web standards, front-end performance, usability, and accessibility
- Can communicate collaborate well within a highly distributed team
- Are a self-starter who can take a challenging task and run with it
- Care deeply about the quality of your work
- Take a pragmatic and thoughtful approach to solving problems
- Have real experience in modern programming on the server and client
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn't describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us. For more on the things we're building and problems we're solving, and what it's like to work on the Vox Product Team, see our Product Team blog.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.