We're looking for a Frontend Engineer to join the engineering team at Zapier. Want to create a simple product that allows anyone to do complex, incredible things with the world's APIs? Then keep reading!
We know applying for and taking on a new a job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Working on Diversity and Inclusivity
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we're looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if:
You care deeply about improving frontend technology so our customers can have a great experience using our product.
You love great UX. You spend most of your time coding, but you also have an eye for great design and a feel for great UX. Maybe you were once a designer (or still are) or maybe your creative outlet has always been the code. Either way, you care about more than just the code.
You love learning new things. You love playing with new tech. Your focus is on frontend code, but you can dig in wherever needed. Python, CSS, build tools, you name it. If you don't already know it, you're ready to learn it.
You can balance lots of concerns. Frontend apps have to take into account performance (using networks and devices that we can't control), customer demands, A/B tests, UX research, code quality, a rapidly changing ecosystem of languages and modules, and the list goes on. And we actually want to ship things too! You can balance those demands without getting overwhelmed, and keep the needle moving forward.
You love helping others. You love sharing knowledge with the rest of your team, giving back to the open-source community, and directly helping customers.
For the past five years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe that credentials don't say everything. Our CTO has a finance degree. Our CEO has an engineering degree. Our CPO has a mechanical engineering degree. What you love doing is way more important than the credentials you have.
We believe in a safe, welcoming and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
Things You'll Do
Zapier is a startup, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Research, guide, and execute frontend architecture changes.
- Refactor or improve existing code. We've migrated most of our frontend to React, but we still have some Backbone code to clean up.
- Work closely with our product, design, and UX teams to create amazing and intuitive experiences that make it effortless to connect different apps together.
- Help put tools, processes, and documentation in place to improve our code quality.
- Review code written by other team members or other teams.
- Ship to hundreds of thousands of users every day.
- Help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- Work with complex and varied data structures (APIs can be a little, uh, eccentric).
- Help out with our Python backend or Node-based developer platform.
- Share what you know and learn either one-on-one or with lightning talks to the group.
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
You’ll also have the opportunity to specialize in a variety of areas of the Zapier codebase, including core product or platform development. Focusing on a specialization will not limit your area for growth at Zapier as each engineer brings a unique perspective and can contribute differently in all areas. We encourage participation and will frequently have engineers contribute across teams to assist in projects.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth
If you want to work remote, that's cool. If you want to work near others, that's cool too. The Zapier Engineering team has members across the United States, Canada, UK, and beyond.
- Competitive salary (we don't use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage for U.S. team members
- 401k retirement plan with 4% company match for U.S. team members
- We take care of our International team mates too but details differ
- Profit sharing
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents
- 2-3 annual company retreats to awesome places
Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
Unlimited vacation policy (plus we insist you take at least 2 weeks off each year—this isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation).
Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with the best software makers in the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from great companies.
Set your own destiny. Grow as an individual and professional.
How to Apply
Applying is fairly straightforward, but a bit unique. Creativity is certainly encouraged. To jump start the process, we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out the gate. Make sure to answer each question, and include all requested resources in order for your application to be considered. Have fun with them. :-)
Complete this form with answers to the below questions.
- How did you hear about this position?
- Tell us why you'd be a good fit for this role.
- Tell us about a challenging JS/library/software bug you've dealt with.
- Tell us about an engineering solution you've built that you're proud of.
- Tell us about the largest application you've worked on.
- Look at this list of tasks and rank at least five of them, in order of what you'd do best (in the next six months or so).
- Look at the same list of tasks and rank at least five of them, in order of what you would love to be doing.
- We are currently hiring for two main areas of Zapier, the core product and the developer platform. Engineers working on the core product focus on end users, building features for the Zap editor, team accounts, and task history. Engineers working on the platform focus on partner developers, building features related to creating and supporting apps on the Zapier developer platform. You probably have lots of questions about each of these teams, and there is always a lot of opportunity to move across teams. Having said that, would you prefer to focus on the core product or developer platform? Please briefly explain why.
- Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Finally, wait for us to reply. We reply to everyone, even if we don't seem like a good fit.