Lead Front End Developer
Do you love crafting the front end for mobile-first web applications? Are you passionate about web accessibility? Can you collaborate with designers and other developers to build powerful products that solve real problems for real people? Check this out.
This job is a special opportunity. PeakDemocracy.com is a 10 year old profitable company with an established product and client base. Unlike working with a start-up, you know that you will be proud to see your work used by thousands of existing Peak Democracy users across the globe.
Peak Democracy is also a special, idealistic company. Our mission is to build public trust in government by facilitating community discussions led by local governments. You will be proud to see your work playing a central role in helping communities craft thoughtful, considered decisions that create consensus rather than polarization.
We’re a small remote team committed to providing local governments with the very best in online civic engagement. Our diverse team make-up ranges from Berkeley physicists and Harvard MBAs to self-taught designers, experienced engineers and community engagement specialists. Because we’re remote, high-quality communication is key. A commitment to continual improvement is a must, as our team thrives on learning from failure as well as success.
We’re looking for a Lead Front End Developer who appreciates our mission and can fulfill the following roles on our remote team:
- Create front end development principles
- Create and manage a performance budget
- Decide on front end technologies
- Lead front end architecture and development
- Build and maintain a comprehensive pattern library and style guide with mobile-first responsive components
- Lead device testing
- Ensure WCAG 2.0 and Section 508 accessibility requirements are met on all commits
- Collaborate with designers and engineers to build the best user experience we can
- Solid written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in HTML, CSS, JS and Git
- Developing web applications to meet web accessibility requirements (WCAG 2.0 and Section 508)
- Device testing on a variety of real devices, not just cloud-based tools like Browerstack
- Comfortable working in an MVC framework (our product is built on Rails) and collaborating with designers and other developers
- Confident using Zurb Foundation 6
We’re looking for a front end developer with experience working in an agile environment on a cross-disciplinary team. You should have a solid portfolio of work that demonstrates your ability to solve real human problems using HTML, CSS and JS.
Hours and Compensation
This position will begin as a contract position at 20 hours per week, with the potential to work more hours and/or become a full-time employee of Peak Democracy.
Compensation is commensurate with ability and productivity.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter should include information about why you are interested in the position, why you think you would make a good fit and how this role relates to your long term goals.
Submissions will be accepted until the right person is found. While we welcome all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.